My name is Dave. I am a coder by day and Trader by night. On this site, I share my experience Trading Forex, Precious Metals, Crypto Currencies, and Stocks.
I am open about my trading by:
- Sharing my trading performance
- Sharing my trading plan
- Sharing my trading ideas
- Sharing the resources I use for trading and investing
My Trading Performance
|My Trading Performance in R|
My Trading Plan
Every trader needs a plan. Plan your trades and trade your plan! My Trading Plan can be found here. I hope it will show you that I actually trade according to a plan and that luck is a minimal factor in my trading.
My Trading Ideas
I share my trading ideas on Tradingview as a way of keeping a visual trading journal. You can follow my trading ideas as I post them on my Tradingview profile. Alternatively, you can get my trading ideas by email.
Yes, send me trading ideas
Latest trading ideas
- I canceled the long order. Date Pair Direction Trade Trend […]
- Amazing trading activity today. I got out of my short […]
- This is my short order. The long order is already […]
My Way of Trading
Becoming a trader is a process. And although some people have a natural ability to be successful in trading, most others do not have this.
I believe anyone can learn to trade the markets.
I have spent many years studying the markets, reading books on trading, doing backtests and of course trading itself. Finally, I am at the level that I make more money then I lose. So I feel confident I can share with you what I know on the subject.
My Free Trading Course
I have written a series of posts as a Free Trading Course about: Getting Started Trading. It will help you get started trading the way I do. Below are some article titles, so you get an idea of what you will be learning. I highly suggest you go through the articles in order. Just click:
More Trading Education Resources
After reading my series of articles on Getting Started Trading, you are ready to practice what you have learned so far.
You can open an account at Markets.com (the broker I use) and start practicing on a free demo account. Alternatively, you can fund a real account and practice trading very small position sizes. This is actually better, as with real money on the line, however small amounts, you will be able to practice the mental aspects of trading as well as the technical aspects.
Trading Education on Demand Videos
Markets.com offers an excellent series of free trading education videos for beginner, intermediate and advanced level. All you need to do is sign up for an account and you will have access to the Education on Demand section, even if you will only trade on demo. There is no need to fund or verify the account to get access.
The content of the videos is really good and is probably all you need to start developing your own way of trading. Below is a list of all the videos and the best order per level to watch the videos.
- Methods of plotting charts
- Peak and trough
- Support and resistance
- Moving averages
- Head and Shoulders
- Double tops and bottoms
- More will follow
- Will follow
As you practice you can follow along with my trading ideas by looking at my charts on Tradingview.
I use charting that is independent of the platform I execute trades on. I use Tradingview for my chart analyses. As an alternative, you can also use platforms like Investing.com, Metatrader or CTrader. However, to use these last two platforms you will at least need to open a demo account at a broker that offers the platform and the usage of these demo accounts are often limited in time. The advanced version of the Markets.com (the broker I use) trading platform offers charts based on Tradingview and the demo account is not limited in time.
I recommend Tradingview, because:
- Tradingview is free to get started.
- Tradingview is an independent resource.
- It offers charting, news, economic calendars, screeners, trading ideas, a trading community, all in one place.
- It offers tools on a wide variety of instruments, like stocks, forex, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, commodities, precious metals, and cryptocurrencies.
- It offers a replay function that will let you backtest your strategies.
In one word: it is excellent in my opinion.
I use the broker Markets.com.
At Markets.com I trade swing trading and other strategies on forex and index CFDs.
I recommend this broker for the following reasons:
- I trust the broker. I have been trading for a few years with this broker and I have made deposits and withdrawals without any problems. It is regulated in various jurisdictions and it is part of a publicly-traded company.
- The broker offers an easy to use online platform for trade execution and trade management. Specifically, the position sizing is very easy to do on the platform. Most brokers offer platforms for trade execution that make position sizing overly complicated.
- I have found the instrument prices to be accurate.
- I have found the spreads/trading costs to be reasonable. Markets.com now offers MarketsX which includes even better spreads.
- I have found the trade execution to be precise enough for my style of trading.
- This broker offers a non-expiring demo account, which you can use to test and trade new strategies against live markets without risking any real money until you are ready to trade live.
- This broker offers many additional tools and services that will help you in your trading.
If you haven’t already, open an account at Markets.com now!
My Precious Metals Holdings
I trade mainly currencies, but I do not hold my savings in currencies as I believe that all fiat currencies will eventually lose their value due to inflation. Of course, I could invest my savings in stocks, but I am already heavily invested in the stock market through my retirement plans. So I hold any free savings I have in the form of precious metals.
With a large part of my savings, I do not want to take any risk. If I keep savings at the bank, then I will certainly lose on my savings in the long run. Therefore I only hold short-term savings at a bank. These are savings I keep for expenditures such as holidays, house maintenance, tuition fees, etc. These are expenditures, that I know are coming. Besides that, I also hold savings at a bank for known unknown expenditures and emergencies.
All my other savings are in Gold and Silver. Gold and Silver have been a store of value for thousands of years. Fiat currency may be government money, but Silver is Gentlemen’s money and Gold is God’s money. Gold and Silver have proven to store value throughout history.
I do not keep Gold and Silver at home, because of the security risk. And I also do not keep my precious metals in safety deposit boxes in banks, because these are not accessible at all times and are not insured.
I hold my Gold and Silver fully insured in a Swiss vault.
I have direct access to my Gold and Silver funds through a Mastercard debit card.
I do this through GoldMoney that acts as a custodian. Follow the link to get your own holding account.
My Cryptocurrency Holdings
I also hold, or HODL cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrencies are incredibly volatile. I believe that in the long run, a small holding of Bitcoin and other coins can have the potential to grow into a significant holding. I see it as an insurance against another potential failure of the financial system as we know it.
Because cryptocurrencies are so volatile, I rather not try to time the market. Instead, I buy a fixed amount in Euro every week. This is known as averaging in. I do this via Coinbase. At Coinbase I have set up weekly recurring buys. It is all automated. Every now and then I transfer crypto from my Coinbase wallet to my Ledger hardware wallet.
Read this post to learn three ways to automatically buy Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.
I have outlined some of the most useful resources I use for trading, investing and saving my self. I hope it is helpful. Links on this site can be affiliate links. If you use them to open an account or buy something, then I might receive a commission. This is at no additional cost to you. If you have any questions about these resources or the site itself feel free to get in contact with me.